Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Politics and Believers in Business - The Balance

This has been such a tough topic for me over the years in business. As I completed my Business studies, I had the opportunity to study different types of business leaders. One of those types was Politic Centric Leaders. Meaning, leaders who leverage and rely on politics to make gains in business. At first, I thought this was ludicrous. I thought that even classifying a leadership style based solely on politics was absurd, and grossly unfair. Then, I started thinking about my own business leadership styles.

I started looking at the role of "politics" in business. I realized quickly, that "politics" are a necessary leadership characteristic for all business leaders, including Believers in Business.

Lets define Politics. Politics to me are not back stabbing, cut-throat, lies that we tell about others to tear them down. Politics, in this case, are actions taken that consider either solely or mostly the response of another individual. They also consider levels of authority and influence.

Leadership has often been defined as INFLUENCE. What is influence? Well . . . maybe business politics are part of influence. And as a Believer, Christ called me to be "shrewed as snakes". Meaning, dont be a whimp, and clearly dont be ignorant. For me to INFLUENCE others, I must consider their authority, their power, their perspective, their position, and their whole take on the situation. In doing so, I may being playing "politics", as some have defined them.

Any thoughts on Believers right to utilize Business Politics?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are the values of this type of leadership?
Do you change your approach based on the "position" an individual holds in your organization?
How do you manage politics in the church arena? Do you find yourself being more compassionate?

7:21 PM  
Blogger ScottV said...

Values of Political Leadership skills -

1. Considers the perspective and expectations of the other person... utilizing politics plays into the approach of your peer, boss, or follower, and enables them to move down the road you envision while meeting their needs. 2. Ensures that you are not seen as an island... politics tend to give people the perspective that you are a team player.

Politics is all about CHANGING your approach, what you highlight, how you ask, who you ask, etc... Politics is all about flexibility.

Politics in the church arena simply favors the physical and emotional needs of the followers and peers more than busienss. Business politics tends to rely on status and position (control). Church politics tend to focus on significance and security.

Exactly - politics in church relies heavily on compassion and grace.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home